Friday 15 July 2011

Take a chance!

Let’s just say it was one of those days when nothing was going my way.
It was my cousin’s traditional wedding. There was just too much activity that week and I couldn’t take it anymore. I was basically a ticking time bomb.

My mom had asked that I drive her to Pretoria+/45 minutes away depending on the traffic, she didn’t want to drive herself – my sister had ducked and was off somewhere with my cousins. So I woke up late, got dressed in jeans and a red T- shirt, I guess it summed up my state of mind quite well – vexed! I picked my mom up from the wedding, drove to PTA, stayed there for the next hour and 45 minutes or so. It might have been less but it felt like ages. The only nice thing was the fact that it was a lovely sunny day outside. I drove back to the wedding and immediately feel stifled; I didn’t feel like socializing and now that I had been spotted by the rest of the family was not able to disappear. So I stayed for a bit, I was just miz. Bittersweet.

Then I started thinking about what was on at the movies and by this time it was probably 45 minutes till the movie started. I told my mom that I was going to go to the movies, it was now about 16h30 and nobody could tell me anything, I just didn’t care. I went outside said hello to a few people I hadn’t seen in ages, and headed off to my car. Before I got to Hyde Park my sister called and asked me to book a ticket for her and one of my cousins and I told them they’d have to hurry the hell up if they wanted to catch the movie. I got there and decided to wait for the next movie. The plan was to loiter walk around around a bit (loiter makes me feel like a mall lout), have some ice-cream and wait for my sister and maybe grab a quick snack or coffee before the movie. Let me tell you, by now I looked like I was carrying the world’s problems on my shoulders and about to cry at any minute.

Then I went into one of my favourite shoe stores and started looking at shoes. I was in my own little world; I hadn’t even realized that I was now the only person in the store except for this really tall guy, the store owner and the store assistant. He said “those look really good on you” and I just stared at him. I picked up another pair, he was busy looking at men’s shoes, I wore the second pair and he let loose another comment “You’ve, got really dainty feet” (I can’t really remember his second comment, but this what he must have said, hahaha). I really looked at him now and was like DAAMN DUDE, you’d look good on me too :-) but obviously “miss mad at the world” just looked mad and took the shoes off. By now I was back to my original height and he said “You’re perfect” I’m surprised I didn’t start crying at that moment, those words…just what the doctor ordered. He then asked for my number and I told him I don’t just give out my number and didn’t have much of a sense of humor to tell him to “Google me baby”. So there he was still trying to convince me and I noticed that he had a bit of an accent and I asked him where he’s from and he said he’s from the Caribbean - aaailand hotness I tell you. He was tall and lean; definitely some much needed 70% dark chocolate with double cream. Made Stella want to get her groove back for sure! It was as if we were the only two people in the store, actually we may just have been because the store owner and the store assistant were unashamedly quiet, watching us and probably putting bets on whether or not I’d give him my number. Shameless. I felt so watched. He gave up and left, then the store assistant starts telling me and I should have given him my number. REALLY! Now you tell me? Mscheew. He was fiiiione though.

Giving a random guy your number, would you do it?
At that time, I just had visions of Nightmare on George Street: what if he turned about to be a creep, a psycho or (god forbid), a stalker, a psycho-stalker, a mass murderer? Nkosi yam!

No comments:

Post a Comment