Friday 30 December 2011

Gone Organic

My mom’s got serious green fingers and her little organic garden is coming along quite well.
She’s got a small herb square going just outside the kitchen. There’s also a budding a little orchard on the one side of the house with a lemon tree, peach trees with juicy mini peaches (one tree was knocked over by strong winds a couple of days ago), a fig tree (all I can think of is fig preserve) an apricot tree and a plum tree. The apricots got finished a week before I got back home :-(  My favourite section though is the strawberry patch just next to the herb square. Every morning, like a pre-set alarm, my mom reminds me “if you don’t go pick them now, you won’t have any by the end of the day, the birds are feasting as we speak” and right she is, damn birds must think they’re at Wimbledon snacking on my strawberries like that and worst of all they nibble on all the fat juicy ones! I’m trying to think of all the ways I can have my strawberries: strawberries and cream, strawberries with muesli and yoghurt for breakfast, strawberries smoothies or cinnamon french toast with strawberries….oh so yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment